Bounded by Pitkin Avenue, North Conduit Avenue, Drew Street, Forbell Street, and Belmont Avenue, Belmont Playground, as with the adjacent avenue, is named for August Belmont (1816-1890), a wealthy financier and diplomat. Belmont was born August Schonberg in the Rhineland-Palatinate portion of Germany. Born poor, and facing discrimination because he was Jewish, he left his small village at the age of thirteen for the city of Frankfurt, where he went to work for the largest Jewish banking house in Europe, The House of Rothschild. He began by sweeping floors, but quickly proved himself intelligent and trustworthy, and began to receive important assignments. In 1837, the Rothschilds sent him to be their representative in Cuba for important sugar negotiations.
Basketball Courts, Handball Courts, Playgrounds