This playground is named for Frederick Douglass (1818-1895), celebrated African American abolitionist, orator, author, and statesman. Frederick Douglass Playground is located on Amsterdam Avenue between 100th and 102nd Streets. In 1954, the City of New York acquired this parcel via condemnation for the benefit of the nearby Frederick Douglass Houses. The playground opened on September 10, 1958 and the Board of Estimate transferred the property from the New York City Housing Authority to Parks in August 1962.
Basketball Courts, Bathrooms, Handball Courts, Outdoor Pools, Playgrounds