The name of this park salutes the New York City streets to its north and south. The name also refers to the extraordinary manmade waterways in China and Italy. New York’s Grand Street was originally laid out prior to 1766 and was known as the thoroughfare to Crown Point (now Corlears Hook). The street earned the name “Grand” due to its remarkable width of one hundred feet. In 1818 the Common Council resolved that a market house be constructed on Grand Street between Ludlow and Essex Streets to serve the needs of the families of local working men. Grand Street has served as a commercial destination ever since.
Basketball Courts, Playgrounds