This playground’s clever name was coined by Commissioner Stern in 1997. It combines the street names that surround it: Henry, Madison and Jackson Streets, all of which were named for important political leaders. The playground’s name also specifically honors Henry M. “Scoop” Jackson (1912-1983) who served as a U.S. Senator from Washington (1953-1983) and in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1941 to 1953. Jackson took a strong stance against Communism, but at the same time criticized Sen. Joseph McCarthy’s campaign in the 1950s to “out” Communist sympathizers. In retrospect, most regard McCarthy’s campaign as a 1950s “witch hunt.” Jackson supported organized labor and civil rights, and in 1972 and 1976 unsuccessfully sought the Democratic presidential nomination.
Basketball Courts, Handball Courts, Playgrounds