Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software

Howard Playground

William Howard (1725-1777) owned the Rising Sun Tavern, also known as the Howard Halfway House because of its location between Brooklyn Village and the town of Jamaica at the intersection of the Bedford and Jamaica Turnpikes (now the corner of Broadway and Jamaica Avenue). The tavern lodged travelers, served as a gathering place, and sold basic supplies to the area farmers. Its design was unusual – the Rising Sun had two bars, segregated so its Dutch patrons would not have to endure the perceived indignity of drinking with their slaves.

Cross Streets
Mother Gaston Blvd. and Glenmore Ave.
Facilities

Basketball Courts, Handball Courts, Outdoor Pools, Playgrounds, Spray Showers