Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software

Sumner Playground

Sumner Playground lies between Sumner Avenue, Madison Street, Throop Avenue, and Monroe Street. The playground is named for Sumner Avenue, which in turn was named either for Jethro Sumner (ca. 1733-1785), a Revolutionary War general who served under George Washington and commanded the North Carolina forces from 1781 to 1783, or for Charles Sumner (1811-1874), an abolitionist senator from Massachusetts. The street was named in 1887, thirteen years after Charles Sumner died, which, along with his historical prominence, makes him the more likely namesake.

Cross Streets
Throop Ave. between Myrtle Ave. and Park Ave.
Facilities

Basketball Courts, Bathrooms, Handball Courts, Playgrounds, Spray Showers